Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What Happened on Guam?





Guam is such a lovely island. It’s a beautiful place to be. Thanks to Steve Hardy, number 1 photographer on Guam, for providing these amazing photos! Even if it was my third time on Guam, I was still excited to go and perform with my band. Guam is safe, peaceful and quiet. I’ve been longing to get away from the hustle and bustle of Manila. Thanks to our producer Jemuel Luciano for making this happen. It was a month long tour compared to our 1st and 2nd which only took a few weeks.

It was our first time to perform at Karisma lounge located along Dededo. It’s no Hard Rock Café, but I was eager to perform for all the Filipinos out there. I was excited to showcase my group and my band. The first week was very successful. A lot of people came and enjoyed our shows. Besides the positive response, the owner of Karisma, (Wenefredo E.Gallega) didn’t seem to be happy. Oh well, I can’t please everyone, I thought to myself. Then I found out, the reason why he wasn’t so ecstatic about me was that he had a different agenda. He didn’t care about quality performance. He was complaining to our manager why do I go home right away after the show. He said that I should stay longer, sit with several guests and order inflated priced ladies drinks. He said that this was the only way his bar will earn. And besides, I’ll also benefit from the commission (drinkback), he said. He even tried to convince me by saying that all famous celebrities that came to Guam did that. Well I AM sorry Mr. Wenefredo E.Gallega, but I AM not a GRO. I can sit and mingle with the audience if I want. In fact, I do that all the time here in the PI. They don’t even have to buy me drinks. I love hanging out with our audience cuz I consider them as friends. You should’ve just hired GROs instead of me if you believe this was the only way for your bar to earn big.

What is a GRO?

“A girl working in a club or bar in the Philippines to keep male customers company. The “Guest Relations Officer” or GRO always gets the men to buy her inflated priced “Ladies Drinks” that she gets a monetary kickback from. Nearly all GROs are prostitutes who can be “Bar Fined” and taken from the bar for short time or long time sex. Nearly all GROs fall under the auspices of the “Maddam” and live at the bar or in substandard dormitories provided by the bar.” – urbandictionary.com

I have nothing against GROs. I’m not even judging them. They chose this kind of job for a living and I respect that. But I didn’t come to Guam to be a GRO. This is the problem with the entertainment scene on Guam. Bar owners hire legit artists from the Philippines and convince them to become GROs, indirectly. They will tell the artists that the people came to watch their show and so in return they have to thank them, sit down and eventually order ladies drinks. A lot of artists are tempted to continue this activity because they get more money from the kickback than their actual salary. Because of this, the artists become more focused on this activity rather than their performance. Money changes everything- including people’s behavior and motivation. We all need money. Who doesn’t? But I will not do any activity that will compromise my integrity. It’s all I’ve got in this world. All performers on Guam are perceived as GROs. I’ll never forget when I was walking to my dressing room, a Filipino guy in his slippers went up to me and asked, “Mocha, pwede ka bang i-table?” (Can you be my GRO for tonight?) I very firmly replied, “I DONT DO THAT!”.

Obviously, Mr. Wenefredo E.Gallega wasn’t happy with me. So what did this unprofessional man do? He spread rumors to destroy my band and me. He even bad-mouthed our producer JEMUEL LUCIANO. I’m sorry, but as they say, THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN RUMORS ARE MORE STUPID THAN THE GOSSIPER.

I will make a stand for FILIPINO ARTISTS and I will make a difference in my own little way. I will not be like the others because of MONEY. And THOSE who believe you Mr. Wenefredo E.Gallega, I pity them. You are not only destroying them but the image of all FILIPINO ARTISTS as well. And those who patronize this kind of system, especially the Filipinos – you are complaining that our Government is corrupt but you yourselves are blinded by Money. As they say, If You Want to Make Change, Start With Yourself—- “AKO ANG SIMULA”

My third time on Guam was a bittersweet experience. But I’ll never forget the people who came to watch our show and appreciate our work. Thanks to the old woman who gave me 20-dollar tip because she was so happy that I danced with her. Thanks to the waiter at Karisma for the mini-chocolates, which he bought with his own money. These small gestures mean so much to me because they’re sincere and they appreciate me for who I am. Many thanks to those who gave candies, food, stuff toys and gifts on our last night of performance.

Thanks also to - Fiesta Resort for the wonderful accommodation and YPAO Express Kitchen (Ate Esther) for the delicious food.

Thanks to my producers Jemuel & Joan Luciano. Thanks to my Manager/Musical Director LORD BYRON CRISTOBAL. And most of all to my Band — ICE BAND- Mark, Manuel, Kokoy and Karlo.



Here’s the behind-the-scene video from my photoshoot at Namu Falls – the highlight of my Guam trip. Thanks once again to Steve Hardy. I can’t thank you enough for everything.



DONT FORGET TO ADD ME UP ON MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mocha-Girls/188288807920907?sk=wall

No comments:

Post a Comment